D - AS LIVE - WORKSHOPS/OUTPUT

Introduction 


Within this blog post I will be looking into any areas that may need research to identify any problems. 

Due to Covid, we only had a few occasions in which we were able to test shots all together as a group while also working on blocking and staggering through. I will however also be reflecting on the rehearsals within this blog post too. 

Camera Rehearsals   Tuesday 23rd March

Our first workshop was when we also learnt about vision mixing, I felt this was really exciting as although I was working as a camera operator, it was really interesting to also look into how vision mixing works and to have a go myself, as this is something I hadn't explored before but it took my interest. 

When setting up the cameras for our test shoot within the base room, I wanted to ensure I took this time to know where the camera settings were. As we hadn't used the cameras in a long time, I wanted to ensure that I was capable of finding the right settings and being prepared for the studio rehearsals a week after. 

Fig 1. Camera Workshop (2021)


Within this section I will be speaking about what well within this test shoot. It had been a while since we had all worked together and with so much going on and doing university from home, I was worried that I would of forgot everything. However, working with everyone within the team again was incredible and really fun. It made everything feel real. I feel we really all worked well in a team together and this was the first time we were able to focus on our individual job roles. I thought we really worked efficiently as a team. As camera operator this was a great experience for me to begin learning how to take direction from our Director Reece. As he was calling shots and using the right terminology like 'Coming to Camera 3, Take it' etc, it was amazing to know the shot was on me and then once it had gone to someone else, I could readjust and get into a better position for him ready to come back to me. 

I felt all together this aspect of the shoot was really successful as it allowed me to start learning how to take direction and what it would be like to focus on being a camera operator while also having someone give you directions at the same time. This was something I felt was going to struggle with, so it was great to experience this through the test shoot, so I could see what I could expect with Talk Back on.  

Within this test shoot I was really glad I learnt more about the cameras, as I mentioned I was nervous about using the cameras again after all this time. We were using the 4k Panasonics which we will also be using for the actual studio production, So I was really glad to use them. I had previously also used them the week before for a Live Horse Racing event however we were told which settings to use and it was done for me, so I didnt get a chance to go through the menu and find out where everything was. However, on this test shoot, I was able to organise the settings myself, conduct the white balance, work on the exposure and ISO. 

I also thought it went really well in general, especially with the little tips I picked up from Ferg that were really helpful and that I know will help me during production stages. For example, with the tripod I was getting a it confused, again I feel this is because I was slightly overwhelmed and nervous about using the cameras again. Ferg showed me that by getting the tripod stable by using the circular indicator on the tripod, it is so much easier to adjust the tripod to ensure it is stable and also not wonky. I found this such a time saver and will be beneficial when we're under pressure within the studio. 

I actually think that there were vey little negatives, this was the first time we were back together and it went quite smoothly. The one thing I would say is it would have been better if we had more direction, i think we were unsure in regards to what we were actually doing and both Kerry and Sydney were just faking an interview so it wasn't related to Trending itself. It would have been good to of gone through some of the script so we would of been able to actually see what shots we may of needed for the actual production. 

However, this was a great first day back and test shoot, it has allowed me to see what the studio production will be like and how as a Camera Operator I can play my part and get the best shots. it also allowed me to go through the camera and get myself in a position if someone asked me to have it on certain levels, I would know how to fix that. Also using the tripod stabaliser and adjusting how to lock on and off the camera was really beneficial to ensure the camera wasn't shakey and i could pan left and right loosely without it jolting and looking un smooth. 

Multi - Cam Vision Mixing 

The next workshop we were able to have a look into vision mixing and have a go at it ourselves, as I have mentioned this was really exciting for me as I found it intriguing and I haven't every experienced this before. 

Fig 2. Vision Mixing Gallery (2021)

Seeing the multi-cam set up and how it came through to the gallery was really cool as it gave me an insight into other peoples job roles, it also allowed me to see how I could help as a camera operator from the floor to the gallery. Simple things I found like knodding my camera when the director asked through talk back if cameras were ready and so on saved time talking through the talk back when they have a lot to already deal with and also during production time, time is going to money. 

The talk back system was also the first time I have ever experienced using this too. It was a great way to be able to communicate with everyone and hear the director clearly. One of my worries from the previous workshop is that I wouldn't hear the director when he was airing my camera and shot. I was worried about this as I wouldn't of wanted to be moving my camera or not on the right position and readjusting when he camera was on me. Having the talkback and seeing how it worked, allowed me to realise that I would be able to hear the director clearly in my ear and I could follow direction confidently. Otherwise, I would have felt nervous about this aspect. So it was brilliant to be able test this and gain confidence within this aspect. 

We were also shown the cables and the set up in the studio which allowed me to feel prepared in coming into the studio and dealing with the green wires, knowing that was what was going to transmit the signal from the camera into the gallery for them to see. 

What I had learnt 

As the studio was bare and we only had a few camera, it didn't give me much clarity in regard the type of shots and positions I would be in; however, we also got to have a look at the set which did help in some way as I hadn't seen it before, I could now picture where my camera my be and that there would be three separate stages needing to be covered.

As I have mentioned, learning in relation to the wires that will transmit the signal was also very beneficial as this allowed me to understand more about how the tech side of it works. As research has shown me that every camera operator should be reliable for their own camera logistics, this mean I can now add that to my list and ensure I am ready and everything is working. 



List Of Illustration 


Fig 1. Matt Park (2021) Workshop [Iphone Photo - Own Photo] At: https://youtu.be/07SsARW3rz0 (Accessed on 28/04/2021)

Fig 2. Katie Lovell (2021) Vision Mixing Gallery [Iphone Photo - Own Photo] (Accessed on 28/04/2021)












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C - AS LIVE - ANALYSIS OF THE STRUCTURE, BRANDING, GRAPHICS AND PRESENTATION METHODS OF STUDIO PRODUCTION RELEVANT TO COMISSIONED PROJECT.

Documentary - CONTENT RESEARCH

Documentary - ANALYSIS OF AN OBSERVATIONAL DOCUMENTARY