Directions - Directors Statement

Directors Statement


Rocketman

'Elton John, the man who wasn't loved.'


Elton John in his attempt to become a famous Rock Star, Entertainer and leading man. The struggles of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and the loneliness that comes along with being a multi-millionaire at a young age causes tremendous struggle.

In the early 70's Elton John was reaching for fame, after his release of 'your song' he became the biggest hit of the 70's. Within the scene, we see 'Sheila' Elton's mum call Elton lazy and no good as she moans about being the sole provider of the household, while Fred, Elton's stepdad also pressurises both Elton and Bernie sarcastically  as he mimics their not so successful career. . 
While Bernie Taupin, Elton's songwriter and best friend is scribbling on a bit of paper at the breakfast table, he finally passes the paper to Elton. As Elton seems mesmerised by the lyrics on the page, he takes the song over to the piano and starts creating magic. Both Sheila and Fred are in ore of the complete magic being made in front of their eyes. Bernie being in the doorway watching Elton like a hawk, has money signs and love in his eyes. A hit has been created. The scene ends with Dick, Eton's manager beaming with happiness in the studio. Elton and Bernie had done it. The start of the path to Elton becoming a multi-millionaire and an all round star. 

The theme to this story is important, it's about self love and struggle. The struggles of becoming famous and in the public eye. Millions of adoring and loving fans but Elton John never personally felt loved by anyone, his mother, his father or his partner. I have chosen to direct this piece because I think it is an important message, to ensure people that loving yourself is the only main love you need.


The location and colour pallet will be used to set the tone and era, being set in the early 70's bright and colorful tones will be used throughout my piece. Yellows and oranges in particular. Elton being a theatrical character himself will have big and bright costume. As the director I want to show meaning through costume and set, I feel it's important to tell the story through visuals. Elton John being gay; however not publicly at the time, I will use as part of the story telling. Although, he was not publicly known as a gay man, I will use multi-coloured clothing and costume throughout the scene. I feel as the director I can cause irony by doing this, because half of Eltons life he was looking for approval about being gay. By me putting my actor playing Elton in bright coloured clothing which represents gay pride, it's another way of showing the character was desperate to come out and be loved for what he was.



My inspiration comes from the research I concluded in regards to 'Blinded by the Light' director, Gurinder Chada. Throughout my research it is clear, Chada uses specific colour palettes and set design to heighten the story telling and general mis en scene. Within her films like Blinded by the Light which is set in the 80's this is clearly told through the colour used with the oranges, yellows and brown. I think this has shown me how important colour pallets are in telling the story, era and theme. 

                  Elton's Costume Colour Scheme. 
                                                                                                   Set Colour Scheme represent the 70's.



 My choice of makeup for each of my characters will be minimalist. I want the costume and set to speak for itself and I think this is important. As this is a film made following the life of Elton John I want it to be partly factually accurate and I feel Elton's costume was what made him unique. As part of my research I looked at Elton's previous costumes and outfits. Which I think is important in ensuring the film is accurate.



As mentioned above for Elton I want the costume to be brightly coloured and eccentric.

FULL CAST AND CREW

CREW
DP - George Larman
Sound - Luke Hallett
Lighting - Matt Park 

CAST 
Elton John - Thomas Ross
Sheila Eileen Dwight - Caroline Mitchell 
Bernie Taupin - Matt Park
Fred Farebrother - TBC


Music

The Music being used will be a piano version of 'Your Song'. This will be recorded live and then played into the actors ears to record the lyrics. I want to ensure this is done in the style of Elton, concluding research on his performances; although, he was a showman, he continued to deliver vocally. I have chosen an actor who is also a singer. I will ensure there are many rehearsals between me and the actor to enable the right vocal vision of pure soul and heart. 

Here is an example of Elton performing.



Camera Movement and Motion

I want to ensure I'm capturing characters emotions throughout the scene. It's important for me to ensure I'm telling the story with facial expressions and emotion. As well as researching Gurinder Chada, I also researched Guy Ritchie and although he has a fast paced filming style full of action and jump cuts which is not what I will be using. He is especially good at holding on a shot for you to see the characters emotion. In some cases like Snatch, there is even occasions he holds the camera like a photo, paused, to ensure the viewers are aware of how the character is feeling.



This is something I have learnt from his style and will be putting into practice throughout my scene. I will be doing this by using slow shots, close ups on the characters and more importantly the reaction of the other characters to each others dialogue.

Most importantly, I want the viewers to understand that within the 5-6 minute film that Elton had a goal, that seemed impossible while his mum is moaning and whining at him; However, the stroke of genius of 'your song' changes Elton's life completely. 






























Comments

  1. You have a lot of interest, knowledge about the concept of the film, and you have explained very well about the theme of the plot about Elton John. With also including a few of the technical aspects, which are the colours, the makeup and most importantly the music side to the concept.

    To improve on future statements, it would be interesting to include photos of the cast members. To show what your cast members will look like, and having the opinions if the cast members will be appropriate for the production shoot or not. Going into detail and background about who the different individuals are, and the look of their personalities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

C - AS LIVE - ANALYSIS OF THE STRUCTURE, BRANDING, GRAPHICS AND PRESENTATION METHODS OF STUDIO PRODUCTION RELEVANT TO COMISSIONED PROJECT.

Documentary - CONTENT RESEARCH

Documentary - ANALYSIS OF AN OBSERVATIONAL DOCUMENTARY